Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sexual harassment

I usually only post to this blog once a week, but I just had to get this off my chest!


At CNN’s online news reports, Amanda Watts and Greg Botelho wrote the following about Bob Filner’s sexual harassment case.

A lawyer for San Diego Mayor Bob Filner criticized the city for not providing sexual harassment training to the mayor, saying its failure to do so violated the law.

In a letter to the city attorney, Harvey Berger wrote that Filner might never have been sued for sexual harassment had he been properly trained. "If there is any liability at all, the city will almost certainly be liable for 'failing to prevent harassment,' " Berger wrote in a letter dated Monday and obtained Wednesday by CNN from City Attorney Jan Goldsmith.

Irene Jackson isn't alone. Seven other women have said they were subjected to "crude and disgusting" comments and inappropriate touching -- including groping and kissing -- by Filner. Many of the alleged incidents of which he's being accused took place during his five terms in a U.S. representative, before he was elected mayor last year.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts! My mother taught me about proper and improper behavior about the time I was ready to start dating and I’m sure Filner’s mother did the same thing.

This is not a case of a man who somehow didn’t know that his actions were improper; this is a man who didn’t care. Filner was born three (3) years before I was and I have known since I was 15 that you don’t treat the women around you that way.

This guy knew his behavior was improper and was using his position to get away with behavior that would get his face slapped or worse if he did exactly the same thing in his local pub. 

No comments: