Wednesday, August 28, 2013

War in Syria!


Once again the drums are beating to involve us in the Middle East. Once again I question the need for us to be involved as more than supporting cast. Once again I am reminded of the 60s folk song performed by the Kingston Trio.

They're rioting in Africa

They're starving in Spain

There's hurricanes in Florida
and Texas needs rain
The whole world is festering with unhappy souls

The French hate the Germans

The Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs

South Africans hate the Dutch

And I don't like anybody very much
But we can be tranquil and thankful

And proud for man's been endowed

With a mushroom shaped cloud
And we know for certain that

Some lovely day someone will set the spark off

And we will all be blown away
They're rioting in Africa
There's strife in Iran

What nature doesn't do to us will be done by our fellow man

Written by Sheldon Harnick

Most of the same places are having the same problems that I watched them live through 50 years ago. And we got involved then and didn’t help either them or ourselves then and I don’t know why to expect a lot of good to come from us getting involved this time.

1 comment:

Bryan Neva Sr said...

I concur Allen! I wrote my congressman to express my opposition to ANY involvement in Syria. The US can't be the world's policeman. We can't force other countries to behave ethically. What we can do though is continue to be a good example to the rest of the world.