Thursday, November 1, 2007

The politicians are crazy

I started this blog to force my self to start writing something every day. I found that the best way to improve my skills is to practice - even when I’m not particularly motivated. I didn’t have a particular theme or subject in mind. I most especially didn’t want to get into political debate and the personal attack that seem to fill the news.

One issue for me is the craziness in politics. I’m talking about the lack of common sense about some really important issue. I just finished reading about the Democratic presidential debate last Tuesday and I am appalled at some candidates support for drivers licenses for illegal aliens.

Most of us use the terms illegal and alien in there Webster’s dictionary meaning of

Illegal - “ not legal; contrary to existing statutes, regulations, etc”
Alien - “one born in or belonging to another country who has not acquired citizenship by
naturalization”.

People who visit the United States either as tourists or with the intent of becoming citizens are our guests and we expect them to act as good guests. Just like guests in our private homes, we expect them to follow our rules. My wife’s niece and her husband don’t smoke inside our house (my wife an I are non-smokers). It’s not about “our rules”, it’s about being polite as guests in our home.

We have rules of conduct as a country and that includes who can visit and for how long they can stay. By entering illegally these people have put us on notice that they don’t intend to be good guests and follow our rules, so why should we accord them the privileges reserved for family members and “good” guests?

Nobody in their right mind thinks that we are going to try and round up several million people - some of whom were brought here as small children and don’t remember living anywhere else - and ship them “away”. But just like my latest home remodel I didn’t try and get it all done in one big jump. I did the addition, then the kitchen, and finally the landscaping, one step at a time.

First, stop or cut down on the number breaking the entry rules, second create a legal status for those already here, last overhaul the entry rules and process. Doing all three things as part of one big revision to the regulations it is almost impossible to get people to agree on everything, but we should be able to find enough common ground to solve each smaller part one at a time.

No comments: