Thursday, April 14, 2011

Denver sure has funny weather in April

Yesterday I was out and about in a short-sleeved shirt. This morning it’s snowing! Just a day short of two weeks ago we went to the opening day of the Colorado Rockies baseball team in shorts and short-sleeved shirts. The thermometer hit just over 80 degrees.

Now I know what people meant when they said that “if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute!” Since my wife (born and raised in Southern California) doesn’t drive in the snow, I have to take her to work, a 50-mile round trip on the freeway.

The small suburban town where she works is reporting 2 inches of snow already and we won’t leave for another hour and a half so who knows how much snow I’ll have to deal with.

When I went to take my driving test way back in Pennsylvania it was early February and there was a little over an inch of snow on the ground with more falling. My father didn’t think they would let me take my test because of the snow. The tester told him they would give the test and said “He’ll have to drive on it after he gets it license”.

While everyone prefers clear dry roads, I’ve been driving for exactly 50 years in all kinds of weather and the car has 4-wheel drive so it should be no problem. Especially since most people here know how to drive in snow. My biggest problems has been in places with the rare snowfall where the locals never learn the skills of driving in the snow and then do dumb stuff which gets those of us who know what to do caught in the mess.

No comments: