Saturday, February 19, 2011

Biker Jim’s Gourmet Hot Dogs

Decided to go downtown (Denver) for lunch the other day and got off the bus at 16th and Arapaho. There are lots of restaurants with in a short walk of the bus stop and many have outdoor seating. The weather was one of those great days where it’s cool in the shade but still comfortable to just sit in the sun.

Facing the bus stop was a street cart selling hot dogs. I am always on the lookout for a good dog, ever since I was a kid and my dad took me to a place called Yocco’s in Allentown, Pa.

Since Biker Jim’s Gourmet Hot Dogs was voted Best Dog in Denver by Westword Magazine, I thought I’d try it. Weird dogs on the menu! Elk Cheddar Jalapeño, Alaskan Reindeer, Wild Boar, and more, way down at the bottom was a plain old Kosher dog.

I tried the Elk dog and it turned out to be a really great dog! I like my dogs with just mustard and fresh chopped onion so that’s how I fixed it. Turn out to be about the best dog I’ve ever had. Just the right mix of Jalapeño and Cheddar with a bun that was not too doughy or dried out.

A group of 5 at the next table had gotten several different types of dogs, had then cut, and sampled each. Shamelessly eavesdropping I listened to them compare the Elk and Reindeer dogs with their favorite being the Elk.

Here’s the website so you can check them out the next time your in Downtown Denver. Believe me, if you like dogs, you’ll like Jim’s.

No comments: