Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Teachers should teach

I watch a lot of History channel on the cable. It caused me to think about why I like the history channel but didn’t much like history in school - which in turn caused me to think about why I didn’t much like school at all.

Nearly 50 years later I think it was too theoretical. What we learned was more about this is what you need to know to learn something else later in school than about here is how you do something today. Student’s get board by things that don’t seem to have a point so the teacher must show them that point.

The student's job is to show up and pay attention, the teacher is responsible for getting and holding the student's attention. Teachers may not like it, but part of their job is to teach the student why the student should care about the class.

No comments: