Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Government wire tapping

This article about the government’s wire taping and the telephone company’s and internet provider’s liability for assisting the government.

I don’t have much problem with the government looking at my phone calls or even listing to determine that I’m not doing anything illegal. I do have a problem with them using the information gained that is embarrassing while not illegal. I also have a problem with some government employees having access and the potential for misuse.

We all saw one of then President Clinton’s staffers request confidential files about some Senators and Congressmen from the FBI. It got public and the information was not released, but how much can we trust a process with no check and balances?

What kind of use might former President Richard Nixon or his staff made of this kind of power? What is the potential for misuse by future Presidents or their staff?

No comments: